The Importance of Accurate Records
Removing eligible criminal records can have a positive impact for people and their families.
- Landlords and employers can search criminal records in approving renters or in hiring people.
- This can lead to bias against people based on the current records
- Removing these records can increase the opportunities to get a new job or housing.
What Records May Be Removed from WORCS?
Under Wisconsin law, records eligible for removal from the DOJ’s WORCS database are:
- Dismissed charges or charges not prosecuted
- Arrest Records when no charges were filed
- Records in connection with an acquittal
- Records that are not for you (i.e., mistake nidentity)
What Records Are Not Eligible for Removal from WORCS?
Dismissed charges that are a part ofan arrest event in which other charges resulted in a conviction.Anexample would be:
- If someone was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct
- The battery was dismissed
- The person was still convicted of disorderly conduct